Well, as wikipedia says: Mid-century modern is a design term applied most frequently to residential (and some commercial) architecture, interior design and furniture. Related to the Space Age, the International style and Googie, mid-century modern translated the ideology of Modernism into a sleek, cool, yet accessible lifestyle. Mid-century modernism was more organic in form and less serious than the International Style. Scandinavian and Finnish designers and architects were very prolific at this time, with a style characterized by simplicity, democratic design and organic shapes. They had an influence on Mid-century modernism in the rest of the world, including the US. Mid-century modernism has become popular in recent times, and has influenced contemporary modern design profoundly.
or in more simpler terms: Mid Century Modern furniture and accessories that range in age from the 1940's through the 1970's and were designed with smooth lines and elegant curves
Some of the most well known designers of the mid-century modern era include: Charles Eames, Eero Saarinen, Arne Jacobsen, George Nelson, Paul McCobb, Hans Wegner, Isamu Noguchi, Finn Juhl, and Vladimir Kagan
Mid Century Modern Interiors:
This community is for you if you are interested in the following:
-mid century modern furniture and decor
-modern danish design
-space age / atomic age / 50's style design & furniture
-1950's and 1960's interior design & furniture mainly but also the 40's and 70's if it classifies as "modern".
-anything listed in the interests list below
-vintage & retro designed things overall, just try and post only modern things... not like some ugly 60's chair that is french provincial or something.
1) Please make sure posts are on topic
2) Please put pictures more than 600x500 behind an LJ-CUT. If you don't know how to do that, click that link. Please only put two pictures maximum not under a cut. It makes the community more readable and presentable.
3) Do not cause drama & be nice to one another. If you do not follow this rule you'll be banned :D
4) You may promote your community AS LONG as it's somewhat similar to this community. Thats pretty much how this community got heard so its only fair
5) Please, no offense, but do not try and sell your things on this community. I feel that many vintage related communities end up becoming just another waste of space on the internet to sell stuff. Go to ebay.com to sell your things. Thank you!!!
help promote this community by posting this in your lj!
Some Iconic Mid Century Modern Designs:
Modern Home #3 by Melissa Duimstra
This community is maintained and moderated by birdstatic.